Happy Sunday, readers!
I know I’ve been posting less frequently lately, but I have good reason – I’m finally, finally figuring out my work situation! If you’re in the Erie area and want to check out arguably the coolest new brewery/pizza pub, hit me up – I’m in the gift shop a few days a week… and, I have a bigger, more professional job lined up that will be getting going soon. I can’t wait to share the details of that, because I’ll be working at one of my absolute places in the city. Exciting things, finally!
That being said, I’m hopeful that as I fall into a new routine, it’ll help me get back into more regular writing here. My friend Cassie couldn’t have tagged me in her Liebster Award post at a better time!
– Create a new post thanking the person who nominated you, providing their link in the post
– Also, include award logo and answer the questions provided
– Make a new set of 10 questions for your nominees to answer
– Nominate 10 others and share your post with them so they see it
1. What motivates you?
I’m very much a self-starter. I think it’s a combination of my being an only child, and my background in theater. With both, if I didn’t do a thing… that thing didn’t get done. If I didn’t have an idea or a bit of inspiration… nothing was going to happen! I am definitely inspired by the people around me and by the musicians and celebrities I admire, but I look at what they do, and then I look at myself and think, “How do I do something like that, in my way?”
2. What are five things you are grateful for?
1. My husband. And not in that, “I wouldn’t be the person I am today without him” kind of way, because I would be just fine by myself. But he makes everything better.
2. Music. I’d be nothing without it – quite truthfully. I’ve written before here about the way U2’s Beautiful Day very literally saved my life in 2012. The majority of my life has been spent doing theater, singing in different choirs and bands… it’s just what keeps me going.
3. The circle of friends who remind me, constantly, I’ll never feel alone or hopeless again. You know who you are, and I hope know how very thankful I am for you.
4. Change and growth and self-improvement. I recently got to visit with a dear friend I hadn’t seen in almost two years, and he kept commenting on how much happier and at-ease I appeared.
5. Cozy blankets, cold brew coffee, and my warm house on a chilly Sunday morning.
3. What song do you consider to be the anthem of your life?
God, it’s only been out for a few weeks, but U2’s Get Out Of Your Own Way has to take this spot.
I could sing it to you all night, all night / If I could, I’d make it alright, alright / Nothing’s stopping you except what’s inside / I can help you but it’s your fight, your fight.
For all that confidence and self-starter-ness I talked about in my first answer… I get caught up in my own head too often, and this song has burst into my soul, reminding me that I’ve got this, it’s my fight, I’m the only one who can take on my battles.
4. What is the corniest joke you’ve ever heard?
My dad is the reigning king of corny jokes, but I can never quite do them justice. Honestly, if you want one, just tell me to call you the next time my dad is over! 🙂
5. What is your favorite song and why?
Foo Fighters’ Times Like These. Just… the way it captures whatever moment you find yourself in, whenever you hear it, and makes that exact moment into what you need it to be, at that moment? I apologize if that’s a weird, circular thought, but read it again, slowly. I feel like, so often, we find ourselves anticipating more than living (I know I do), trying to create perfect experiences, instead of just experiencing what is actually going on around us. But… it’s those times that we are just living… that wind up being the times that ARE those perfect moments, because they’re the exact moments we’re supposed to be experiencing. Does THAT make sense? I don’t know. Just, listen to the song and enjoy their trippy, old-fashioned video.
6. Who inspires you?
Oh, I’ve already sort of answered this. I’m inspired by… everything, and everyone. The Edge, Dave Grohl, and Bono top that list, celebrity-wise, but it’s the people around me, and often my own friends, who blow my mind every day with their accomplishments!
7. Why do you blog?
Ahh, Cassie, this is such a good question – I’ll be stealing it for my own set! It’s funny, because that’s something I don’t think I’ve ever given much active thought to? I’ve had a blog of some sort since 2002, and before that, I was alllll about paper journals with those little plastic locks. Even with theses decades (omg…) of writing… I don’t know WHY I’ve been doing this! I like to capture a moment. I like the actual physical ACT of writing, whether it’s furiously typing on my little pink laptop, or in a Moleskine journal. Blogging is just an extension of all of that, and I love that there’s an automatic community formed whenever I click the “Post” button.
8. What’s your greatest fear?
Hah, okay. So, I’m a person who deals with very real anxiety, and it often feels like my whole life is fear of one thing or another. I think a house fire, or other natural disaster, tops my list of most tangible fears? I could go on here for days, though…
9. What is something you have to do every single day?
Is it too millennial of me to say something along the lines of checking social media? Because that has to be my answer here – I have so many friends around the world now, and I truly feel like I’m missing out on something if I don’t keep up with them on Twitter and Tumblr.
10. How did you get your name?
My grandmother’s middle name was Mary, and I know my parents wanted to give me something along those lines. Then, when I made this blog, I realized that I wasn’t in the mood to create a new identity for myself online. I like my name, and I like the idea of being my own brand!
Thank you again for tagging me, Cassie!
So, if you’ve read all my answers, you are now obligated to answer my own questions – just kidding, but I love this kind of thing, so I want to share it! I won’t limit this to tagging 10 people, but know that if you’re one of my readers and/or friends, I would love to see your answers to these questions:
1. Why do you blog/write?
2. What scent takes you to a happy memory?
3. Humblebrag for a moment – what’s an accomplishment you’re proud of yourself for?
4. Ideal vacation spot?
5. Why is your favorite band/musician your favorite?
6. How do you blog/write? What’s your ideal setting, mood, etc?
7. How do you take your coffee?
8. What’s your oddball interest – that thing you like that doesn’t quite match up with your other interests or hobbies?
9. What could you talk about, in depth, for half an hour, without stopping?
10. What are your goals for your blog?