Hello, dear readers.
It’s been a while.
And I have no excuse for it. I could lie and say that life got in the way of my writing here, but I’ve had time to tweet excessively, and I’ve kept up with posting on Instagram at least once a day.
But this here blog, the one place on the internet I’m spending money for the privilege of using… hasn’t been updated in over a month now.
I guess I’ll blame it on writer’s block, because I honestly have not had much motivation. I’ve started a few posts that I almost immediately scrapped – maybe I’ll return to them someday, but let me tell y’all that one of them was my feelings toward death and it was going to a Place?? It was wild. Maybe I’ll revisit it for Halloween.
ANYWAY. I can’t just let this blog sit here with nothing new on it. I’m going old school and forcing myself to write SOMETHING today… by way of one of those janky old “surveys” we all remember from our MySpace and LiveJournal days. Let’s go.
Questions to Really Get to Know Someone
1. Are you a morning or night person? Truthfully, a mix of both. I think as I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more of a morning person, but I also still really like late night conversations and things (when I can stay up late enough…).
2. Which do you prefer, sweet or salty foods? Neither. Give me savory snacks. Beef jerky, pepperoni, roasted chick peas, etc.
3. Ninjas or pirates? Okay first of all, what was WITH the early 2000s? I feel like questions like this were everywhere. I suppose I’ll say pirates, but like, not the gross Johnny Depp-type. Just cool ones.
4. Ninjas vs pirates. Discuss. …No thank you? (Guys, I’m beginning to regret this post idea and I’m only four questions in…)
5. Autobots or Decipticons? So I guess I should have at least skimmed the questions in this survey before I picked it.
6. What was your favorite childhood television program? I was a PBS kid (with a little Nickelodeon mixed in). Hell, I’ll still watch Sesame Street if there’s nothing else on.
7. Are you a collector of anything? My office is full of little collections! I love knick knacks. Shot glasses are definitely my most active – I try to get one wherever I travel/visit/etc and I’m well over 60 from the past 12 or so years. I also collect Pop Funko and stuffed animal Winnie the Poohs.
8. If you could be any animal, what would you be? My favorite animals are hippos and zebras, so I guess one of them would be alright.
9. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Flight, without a doubt. I have too much wanderlust for my bank account.
10. What is usually your first thought when you wake up? Gratitude.
11. What do you usually think about right before falling asleep? Probably just hope that I actually DO fall asleep. I’m not good at sleeping.
12. What’s your favorite color? Green, I think. Also pink.
13. What’s your favorite animal? Okay, see now I’m realizing how lousy of a read this post is going to be. Sorry, y’all.
14. Do you believe in life on other planets? Absolutely. Ignorance of that is just ridiculous.
15. Do you believe in ghosts? Yes.
16. Ever been addicted to video/computer games? If so, which ones? I feel like the original Sims and Roller Coaster Tycoon were made in such a way that you HAD to be addicted to them to actually accomplish anything (read: drown your housemates and fling your entire theme parks’ worth of guests off a coaster).
17. You’re given one million dollars. What do you spend it on? I’d pay off my student loans, then finally buy a car. I’d put the rest toward travel and little improvements around our house.
18. Have any bad habits? I pick at the skin around my fingernails (then get mad at myself for doing so). I recently got a fidget cube, though, which has been a significant help!
19. Which bad habits, if any, drive you crazy? I can’t stand the sound of people loudly chewing food, to the point it actually makes me angry.
20. List three of your best personality traits. I’d like to think I’m resilient, typically optimistic, and a damn good cheerleader for my friends.
21. List three of your worst personality traits. I hate to say it but I know I have lazy tendencies. Also, my optimism often comes back to bite me in the ass. Aaaand I can be judgmental, as much as I try to fight it.
22. Have any celebrity crushes? *looks up at the massive Dave Grohl poster that takes up almost an entire wall of my office* hmm? Who? (also, Jon Hamm and Seth Meyers).
23. What’s one thing you wish you could change about yourself? Physically? My stomach. Otherwise? I wish I hadn’t gone to college. Sincere money drain.
24. Any tattoos or piercings? Just my ears. I’ve wanted several tattoos over the years, but with my crazy skin issues (oh, maybe that should have been my answer for the previous question – I hate how sensitive my skin has become), I’m too scared to go for one.
25. What’s the first thing you notice in the opposite sex? Hair, definitely.
26. What personality traits do you look for in a partner? My husband’s sense of humor plays perfectly off mine. He’s also terrifically supportive and hard-working.
27. What personality traits do you dislike in other people? I’m SO here for self-confidence, but when it crosses into the territory where you’re only impressed by your own actions and thoughts, give me a break.
28. Do you see yourself getting married in the next five years? Aw, remember doing these surveys in high school and shuddering at the thought of these questions?
29. Are you mostly a clean or messy person? Okay, see, I think that clean and messy aren’t exactly opposites. Clean and dirty are, and I am definitely clean. My office may look like messy chaos, but I know where everything is, so.
30. If you could live anywhere, where would you live? As evidenced in my last post, I love living in Erie, but I’m not ruling anything out for my future.
31. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? I still want to visit the Mediterranean and Amsterdam, as well as the Pacific Northwest and all of the National Parks.
32. List five goals on your life’s to-do list. Oh, I always disliked questions like this. I’m not one to itemize my life – it’s why I don’t see myself ever having anything resembling a traditional career. I like living and experiencing every moment put in front of me. Clearly, travel is important to me, and I want to freelance more.
33. Name one regret you have. Oh, I already did this. I regret going to college.
34. Name one thing you miss about being a kid. Making movies with my neighborhood friends.
35. Name one thing you love about being an adult. Finally having a house that I can decorate and enjoy the way I’ve always wanted to.
36. What’s your favorite song at the moment? Harry Styles ‘Carolina’.
37. What’s your favorite song of all time? It’s a tie between the Foo’s ‘Times Like These’ and U2’s ‘October’.
38. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday night? Sleep. I’m old.
39. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Sunday afternoon? Take my cameras out and go exploring.
40. Have any hidden talents? I can sort of twirl a baton…? Oh, and I can make balloon animals!
41. If you knew it was your last, what would be your last meal? Literally anything from Salvatore’s Italian Gardens, in Buffalo, NY.
42. What would be your dream job? I would love to someday make enough freelancing that I didn’t need my college bookstore job, but like I said, I’m not one to wish for a career.
43. What would you rather have, 100 million dollars or true love? Since I already found my true love and he’s not going anywhere, can I have the money?
44. If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be? That money in the last question sure would make things easier. I’d also wish for some sort of guidance to help our country through all this, and maybe just… time. Enough time in this life to do all the things I want to do, with the people I love.
45. Ever wish you had been the opposite gender? Not really. Also, strict gender roles are dumb. Do what you want.
46. Name one thing not many people know about you. It’s funny to me that so many of my current friends know nothing of my theater history. I was in over 50 musicals and plays, and stage managed 15 or so more. I once had the lead role of a musical written for me! I got to yell in the face of the director of the local community theater!
47. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? Oh, I don’t know. Being Meredith for almost 30 years now makes it difficult for me to picture being anyone else.
48. Do you believe in the afterlife? Sort of? I don’t know. I know that spirits don’t really leave us.
Okay, there you have it. Some dumb questions (sorry about my half-assed answers…) that probably didn’t enrich you or this blog in any way. But, this is the longest I’ve spent typing anything in the past month, so we’ll call this post a tiny victory. Have a wonderful Memorial Day, readers!